Thursday, August 29, 2013

Dear Friend - Life in Los Angeles


Dear Friend

Silver Lake is amazing. I finished the first draft of my TV show pilot and I have a Vegas friend, a writer for Penn and Teller, and one of the funniest men I know, looking over it this week and telling me how I can improve it. So, I’m now working on supporting documents for the show. I’m writing Treatments (detailed outlines) for the next 2 episodes, and creating a “story bible” with the characters and descriptions of the world they live in.

I’m also trying to improve my ability to write comedic sitcoms. I’m analyzing some of the best sitcoms figuring out their formulas and analyzing their characters. My improv classes are amazingly helpful in this. Through improv, I am gaining a much better understanding of comedic characters and scenes. Practically every decent comedic performer and writer studies improvisation.

It seems much easier to be successful in this industry now that I’m actually in LA. As long as I keep writing and producing and never stop then it’s going to go really well. I get better at writing every day. I meet other writers that are already successful and have careers that I aspire to. And I meet writers that are just okay and still have jobs.

These last months in LA have truly been some of the happiest of my life. There’s so much to do and learn here. Every creator I’ve ever wanted to meet who is alive right now lives in the same place I do. It’s the most amazing feeling.

Every Sunday, I’ve been going to the live podcast of Dan Harmon, the creator of the TV show Community. Community is definitely one of the best comedy shows on television, and by showing up over an hour early, I get to sit in the front row to listen to Dan and his friends discuss what their lives are like. It’s incredibly inspiring. It reminds me of Movie Night in Las Vegas with Penn Jillette and his/my friends – both Dan and Penn are loud successful creative geniuses surrounded by opinionated funny people – but Dan is an often-depressed alcoholic while Penn has never touched a drop of alcohol. Also, Penn was my friend, and I, so far, just pretend that these people are my friends.

My yoga practice has improved since I’ve moved here as well. I haven’t taught a class since April, which has given me the opportunity to have my own practice where I can focus on my breath and meditate. It’s a bit hard, because I love yoga and writing equally, and I wish I had two lives – one where I could focus on my writing and one where I focus only on yoga. I don’t know which would make me happier. But, I’ve started to miss teaching now, so I’m going to try and find a yoga instructing job – I’m sure a gym would hire me. I’m a really good instructor for my 2 ½ years of teaching. The studio yoga instructors have all been teaching for at least 10 years it seems, and I’d have to practice and learn a lot more to get one of the best teaching jobs. But, that’s one of the best things about yoga – it teaches me to live in the present and enjoy breathing and all of the amazing people and places I’m experiencing, and at least I try not to project myself too much into a future where there will simply be new problems and new rewards.

I’m going to be signing up for Central Casting maybe next week. Central Casting does the background casting for TV shows and movies. So since I’m a pretty girl who can play between 18-30-something probably, I should be able to get a lot of work as an extra. That way I can still have a free schedule, make some extra money, and be on film sets so I can learn more about the process.

I already have one amazing and connected friend out here, my friend from college Harry. He’s been writing/directing/producing films since he was 14 in Chicago. When my Vegas friend is done helping me with my TV show pilot, and I think it’s really as good as I can make it, then I can show Harry and I think Harry will know how to help me with what to do next.

I already have a lot of friends here. There is a group of pretty, super great girls from my college who all live right by each other on the beach, and I’ve been going to stay them on weekends. We listen to music together and drink on the beach. A lot of friends from college, or people I’ve met through happenstance. For example, I have one friend out here who produces cool reality shows for the food network and discovery channels and I met him my Sophomore year of college when a friend of mine was on a really awful Playboy TV show. I had a magazine I was “running” at the time, and I hit it off with the men working on the show and they let me follow them around for the week to write an article. And it would seem more people move here every day.

I’m still working on finding a group of really great funny writers with which to collaborate and spend all of my time, but I’m sure it will happen soon.

Last night, I went by myself to see one of my favorite bands play – Alt-J. It was a wonderful experience. I was crying and dancing and singing along with thousands of people. Music is so good live. Even when I go to listen alone.


I miss you. I’ll see you soon. I hope.

Leah


1 comment:

  1. To make sure that you are rocking his world in bed, you need to master these 5 super hot sex tips to make your man absolutely erupt with pleasure tonight. For more visit male kissogram swansea. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete