Friday, August 16, 2013

Writing process for The Yoga Stripper


  • Thursday
  • Leah 
    hi Laila! how are you? ive been seeing all your posts regarding "the yoga stripper" and i'm very curious! is it a memoir? i've always thought about writing a book, but i can barely get enough cohesive thoughts together for an essay (i'm more of a poet...) im just curious about your writing process and how everthing came together. i know this is kind of a random message so i totally understand if you're super busy with everything but i'd love to chat sometime! thanks girl! take care - leah

    • Today
    • Laila Lucent
      hey Leah!
      yes. it's a memoir. This is the amazon link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Yoga-Stripper-Memoir-Namaste/dp/1482000091/
      writing process... I moved to Vegas knowing I wanted to write something about stripping, or at least I decided that on the car ride over, but I didn't know what the story was. So, I just lived my life, made a lot of poor decisions, was really lonely, and tried to teach myself to write screenplays. I wrote a really terrible movie about stripping that hopefully no one will ever read.
      After a year in Vegas, I started writing the book. By then I knew what I wanted to say about stripping. The points I wanted to get across. That you can either be used or empowered... in stripping and in the rest of your life and it's YOUR CHOICE. and a lot of other little points... about the importance of self-reliance... perception/misperception... the religious patriarchal undertones of our society that want to control my behavior...
      So then... that's what I wanted to say... so I listed the stories that made the points I wanted to make and the moments where I'd messed up or learned lessons that I was willing to share with everyone... It's always best to show instead of tell. And make them laugh or they'll kill you..
      And then there's even a vague character arch. Not enough for a tight movie... not too much causality and no climax... but enough of an arch where I started off my journey alone and lost and ended it with friends and in control. I think the arch in a story is the most important part or it's not really a story at all. just a bunch of things happening. Someone needs to grow and change. Someone needs to learn something new.
      After I had all of the stories written it was almost another year before I got the damn thing out into the world. A LOT of editing. A LOT of chapters were cut. A LOT of minutia. A LOT of help from friends.
      I'm really proud of the final product. Definitely a good start to my career. Hopefully I can keep making more art I'm proud of and eventually make a living that way
      Let me know if this was what you were asking
      xx Hope you're great. I'm glad I weirdly stalked you into being my friend all those years ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment